There are five key ingredients needed to improve your customers lifecycle journey and grow your loyal customer database.
1. The first is access to a single customer view. The approach to automatically moving a customer from being a first time visitor to a loyal high value customer is treating each visitor to your site as an individual and requires strategic segmentation, bespoke offers and promotions for each segment and a layering approach to what content and offers each segment sees.
2. The second is real-time analytics and big data manipulation. If any aspect of ecommerce personalisation is static, then any efforts to move customers through their lifecycle become fruitless. A website needs to be able to adapt in real-time to every movement a customer makes online and ensure that every page presented (page view) is relevant from homepage through to basket, online checkout and order confirmation. Equally you can review and improve in real-time the performance of your on-site recommenders, personalisation with site search, any merchandising banners and campaigns you are running, popups and the effect of your personalised emails.
3. The third key ingredient is the ability for you to segment your customers no matter how niche according to your business needs. Many ecommerce personalisation providers offer a limited number of options of how you can create a singular customer view and which customer segments they belong to. Although these options will give you the broad benefits of top-level audience segmentation, bit all of them will be relevant for your business model. To really create a highly personalised website it is important to be able to set your own rules according to your customer profiles and preferences.
4. The fourth ingredient needed is an intelligent AI-driven recommender engine that knows based on behaviours and AI insight what recommenders to place and where on your site for maximum conversion. Recommenders that adapt in real-time are much more likely to convert than those that remain static on a page.
5. The fifth and final ingredient is the ability to overlay the Automated AI with enriched campaigns and banner advertising that supply relevant and targeted awareness, messages and offers to complement the merchandising that the customer is seeing.